Getting Started with Exercise
Physical activity is a key component of a healthy life. When you move more, you feel better! Follow these tips to get started:
- If you’re just starting out, begin with 10 minutes daily, and build toward 30-60 minutes.
- Mix it up! Variety can keep you going. Walk, garden, bowl, dance or take a class.
- Dress for success. Proper shoes and comfortable clothes can help prevent injury and fatigue.
Need more ideas? How about:
- Joining or starting a walking group in your neighborhood or at the mall.
- Walk up and down the field while watching your children play sports.
- Walk the dog, clean the house, wash the car, mow the grass.
- While watching TV, walk in place get on a piece of exercise equipment or do stretches.
- Think about planting a garden this spring.
- Play with your children: shoot hoops, dance or play hide and seek.
Learn more about getting started with exercise by watching this video from Chad Thury, DO, Family Medicine.