November 1, 2021
Seizure First Aid
What to do in the event of a seizure
- STAY with the person and start timing the seizure. Remain calm and check for medical ID.
- Keep the person SAFE. Move or guide them away from harmful objects.
- Turn the person onto their SIDE if they are not awake and aware. Don’t block airway, put something small and soft under the head, loosen tight clothes around neck.
- Do NOT put anything in their mouth. Don’t give water, pills or food until the person is awake.
- Do NOT restrain.
- STAY with them until they are awake and alert after the seizure. Most seizures end in a few minutes.
Call 9-1-1 if:
- Seizure lasts longer than 5 minutes
- Repeated seizures
- Difficulty breathing
- Seizure occurs in water
- Person is injured, pregnant, or sick
- Person does not return to their usual state
- First time seizure
[Source: Epilepsy Foundation]