June is Men’s Health Month
June is Men’s Health Month! We’re using this month to help encourage the men in our lives to take care of themselves as well as raise awareness for common diseases among men. Check out the following facts about men’s health as well as a few ways you can encourage the men in your life to stay healthy.
Men’s Health Facts
- 9% of men over the age of 18 are in fair or poor health.
- 6% of men over the age of 18 met the federal physical activity guidelines for aerobic activity.
- 3% of men over the age of 18 smoke cigarettes.
- 5% of men over the age of 20 are obese.
- 9% of men over the age of 20 have hypertension (measured high blood pressure and/or taking antihypertensive medication.
- Leading causes of death for males are heart disease, cancer, and accidents.
Things you can do to encourage the men in your life to be healthy:
- Encourage them to get their annual physical – this is a great way to stay on top of their health. When men see their provider annually it helps them manage conditions or prevent preventable diseases. Call 712-476-8100 to schedule your annual physical today!
- Encourage them to eat healthy – lots of fruits and veggies, lean meats, and lots of water are great places to start!
- Encourage them to get regular exercise in. This can be a 20-30 minute cardio session, a lifting workout at the gym, or a simple walk on the trails. Daily movement places a huge role in overall health.
- Encourage them to take care of their mental health. Whether this means taking a vacation from work, checking in with a counselor, or taking time to do one of their favorite activities such as reading, biking, or working on a project, it is important to make sure the men in your life take care of their mental health as well as physical health.
- If the men in your life smoke, encourage them to quit.