Along with the holidays comes lots of delicious food! Whether it’s stuffing and pumpkin pie at Thanksgiving, hot chocolate and Christmas cookies at Christmas, or other fun appetizers at New Year’s Eve, everyone’s got their go-to foods around the holidays. With all this food around, it can be easy to fill up on unhealthy dishes. This year, we wanted to offer a few healthier alternatives.
It’s easy to quick jump on Pinterest and find tons of delicious, healthy options! A few recipes we’d like to try include Mini Spinach & Artichoke Stuffed Potatoes, Protein Packed Charcuterie board, Tomato Bruschetta, Blackened Shrimp and Avocado Ranch Dip, and Healthy Mediterranean 7 Layer Dip. There are so many fun options for healthier appetizers!
While new appetizers are fun, we also realize some of us like what we like. If you have a recipe that you can’t survive the holidays without, try modifying the recipe. Here are some helpful tips from our Registered Dietician, Jennifer Lincecum.
For typical holiday ideas:
- Reduce sugar in recipe by 1/3- you don’t see much of a difference in final product.
- Use low fat cream soups in sides/casseroles
- Add in more vegetables to casseroles and sides
- Pumpkin pie has lots of modifications to make it healthier.
- Less salt added in recipes.
- Use more whole grain options when able- brown rice/ ww pasta/ breads etc
- Trim off fat and skin of meats
- Use low fat creamy items such as mayo, cream cheese, dressings
- Use a sharp flavored cheese to use less
- Make a healthy side dish to take for holidays to help balance your plate.
These are great practical ways to modify your favorite recipes to be a healthier. If your favorite holiday dish include other ingredients that you’d like to modify, you can always look online for healthier substitutes as well. Another great source is https://www.move.va.gov/docs/NewHandouts/Nutrition/N24_RecipeSmartStandInsForHealthyCooking.pdf
We hope you found these tips helpful! Have a safe and enjoyable holiday season!
Mini Spinach & Artichoke stuffed potatoes – https://www.cookincanuck.com/mini-spinach-artichoke-stuffed-potatoes-recipe/
Protein Packed Charcuterie board – https://thegirlonbloor.com/how-to-make-a-protein-packed-healthy-charcuterie-board/
Healthy Mediterranean 7 Layer Dip – https://www.cookincanuck.com/healthy-mediterranean-7-layer-dip-recipe/
Blackened Shrimp and Avocado Ranch Dip – https://flavorthemoments.com/blackened-shrimp-avocado-ranch-dip/