May is National Mental Health Month so we wanted to share a few ways you can take care of your mental health. People often thing of eating healthy and working out when they think about a healthy life style, but your mental health is just as important to your wellbeing.
Here are some ways the Mental Health Foundation suggests to help you can take care of you mental health:
- Don’t be afraid to open up. Being healthy mentally doesn’t mean you don’t have negative feelings – it means you are better able to cope when those feelings arise. Talking to a friend or loved one about your feelings is a great way to stay mentally healthy.
- Stay active. Not only is exercise good for your physical health, it also helps you mental health. When you are active, you are better able to focus during the day and sleep at night. Exercise also helps keep your brain healthy.
- Fuel your body well. Nutrients are incredibly important to your brain, and if you aren’t getting the proper nutrients or enough nutrients, it can be hard on your mental health. Try to eat a variety of fruits and vegetables – which are loaded with nutrients. Read food labels to see which foods are full of vitamins and minerals so you know you’re fueling your body with good food.
- Take a break or ask for help when needed. In today’s busy world, it can be easy to feel worn out or overwhelmed. Don’t be afraid to ask for help when needed or say no when you need a break. Vacations are great ways to take a break, but taking a break can also be a soak in the tub, reading a book you enjoy, or taking a short walk outside.
- Do something you’re good at or something you enjoy. Finding an activity you enjoy and doing it regularly is a great way to help beat stress.
- Do something for others. Doing something kind or taking care of someone else is not only a great way to show friends and family that they matter, it also helps us feel better.
Mental health is so important to your well-being. We hope these tips help you stay on track for a healthy life!